Sunday, July 29, 2012

San Diego Food

One of the best parts of traveling is all of the yummy food you get to eat. I went to a ton of cool restaurants. 

The first night we went to Fred's Mexican Cafe. I got a chicken breast ranchero enchilada, and it was good. The queso and salsa we got was different then the TexMex I am used to. 

One morning for breakfast we went to the Pacific Beach Ale House. I got the Creme Brûlée French Toast. I didn't really understand what the creme brûlée part meant, but when I got it it had a hard candy like coating on it. And the strawberries were so good! I would definitely recommend this to anyone.


What's a trip to the west if you don't go to In-N-Out Burger. I mean the burger was better than any other fast food burger, but it was still just a burger.

There was a cupcake shop in Seaport Village called Frosted Robbin Cupcakes. I ordered a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup cupcake. It was pretty good, but something that I could easily recreate and the icing was too sweet for me.

In Coronado beach, we went to Leroy's Kitchen and Lounge. I ordered the Truffled Grilled Cheese with Tomato Gazpacho. It was delicious, but the gazpacho wasn't very good alone. I liked it more with dipping the grilled cheese into it.

We went to a really nice dinner at the Top of the Market restaurant. I got grilled salmon with crab on top of it and snap peas under it. I don't remember the actual name of it, but it was really good. I enjoyed the crab a lot more than the tuna. 

For desert at Top of the Market, my brother chose the s'mores pie. I can't even describe how good this was. There was a graham cracker crust with a chocolate mousse type filling and homemade marshmallow on top. YUMMMMM

We tried to go to The Mission multiple times, but the wait was always forever long. We went on our last full day there just to try to get in and the wait was only fifteen minutes, so we stuck it out. And man am I glad we did. I started things off with a hot chocolate; it was by far one of the best (and prettiest) cups of chocolate caliente I have ever had. It was chocolately without being too rich, and somehow they have discovered the perfect temperature to serve it at. AMAZING!

For my meal at The Mission, I ordered the granola strawberry pancakes. Me, being a person who eats at IHOP more than one should, was expecting the strawberries and granola to just be toppings on the pancakes, but no they were baked in. And if y'all are smart you would order one stack on pancakes and split them because these things are huge. The are super fluffy and I couldn't even make a dent in them. 

Our last night in Cali, we decided to have a low key dinner and ended up eating at Hodad's which was featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. They are famous for some incredibly huge burgers as seen above with the one my brother ordered.

I chose to go with a slightly lighter and smaller meal and ordered the grilled cheese. It was good grilled cheese, but it was just grilled cheese. 

Where I was really impressed was the onion rings. We ordered a half sized because we didn't want to spoil are dinner. I could have sworn when they brought them out that they had made a mistake and given us a full order, but then a waiter passed with a full order and it was about triple the amount that we had. They were awesome onion rings. They had big fat onions, and when you bit into them the onion didn't just all pull out in the first bite. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment